Research

 

After defining our purpose, thorough research was made, using both online, printed and archival resources. In ViRAL’s platform, you are able to find some quests that might help you with researching and interpreting documentation such as maps and old photographs.

Below, you may find some information on the companies that we selected, as well as some pictures of the buildings and the people who used to work there.

ALVES DAS LÃS

The first location of our presentation is the place where was sited the company that was

commonly called Alves das Lãs (officially António Alves & C.ª). It was founded by the man that gave

name to the company, after the closing of the “raw wool wash” company António e Cândido Alves

managed by two brothers – each sibling founded a company with his name.

Alves das Lãs had several branches in Portugal and expanded the activity of the former company,

producing elements for glues, tanneries and fertilizers. After about 40 years of existence,

is extinguished in the eighties, after a troubled decade of strikes and dismissals.

Part of the ground of the former factory gave place to a gas station. Then, in 2020, the demolition

took place to allow the construction of a commercial facility.

Nowadays, only two chimneys remain in the vast place of what was, at some time, the

workplace of 500 people (285, in 1975). 

FIAÇÃO E TECIDOS

Founded in 1845, Companhia Nacional de Fiação e Tecidos was a textile company, and also one

of the more prosperous industries of the region for some time. “In its first years, the company

focused mainly on spinning linen, jute and cotton, as well as the production of cotton canvas,

predominantly for the national market. At the end of the 19th century, it was already one of the

largest manufacturing companies in Portugal.”[1] Between 1882 and 1969, in front of its facilities,

the company had a block of houses for the workers. Viewed from the workforce point, there was a

growing until 1977 when it has 800 workers employed. Started with 28 workers, in 1845;

one hundred years after, in 1946, had 600 employees, the same as in 1991 (605 to be precise),

reducing to 555 in 1992.

Through the years the company suffered some transformations and difficulties, principally in the

adaptation to the international market. As a consequence of the 2008 crisis, closes definitely in 2011.

Recently, in 2020, the brand of the “Torres Novas Towels” was relaunched, adapting the traditional

know-how to the modern necessities of the consumer.

What you can see in the 360º photos and videos is the location of the factory of bathing towels, that the company started to make in 1972 (we don’t know if coincides with the existence of the building), which was demolished by the end of the last century.

 

[1] https://www.torresnovas1845.com/pages/our-story-torres-novas-1845

CASA NERY

Casa Nery is a metallurgic industry founded in 1885, then acquired in the nineties by a

Italian-Spanish company. This company produced “cast-iron columns”, but also agricultural

machinery. The volume of the machines obliged the construction of a new building to house the

company in the sixties of the 20th century. This infrastructure, which doesn’t exist anymore, was near

the river Almonda – in the centre of Torres Novas nowadays, but a peripheral area at the time – like

most industries in the region. The river offers the water resources but also, and unfortunately, the

way of elimination of the residues.

Several decades ago, it was one of the more profitable industries of the region, giving employment

to a considerable part of the village citizens: in 1974 employed about 500 workers

(in 1996, employed 230 workers).

The demolition of the former metallurgic workshops started in 2002, to allow the construction of a

viaduct making the connection between the old and the new parts of the city. The destruction of

these facilities was contested by a group of citizens arguing that those installations belonged to the heritage and memory of the city, and it should host a museum, like some examples in the country.

Today, some of that facilities remain, as you can see in the photos and videos, next to that road that connects two very different parts of the city.

ALVES1.jpg

Photo by/Fotografia por Júlio F. R. Costa

Pesquisa

Após definirmos o nosso objetivo, foi feita uma pesquisa minuciosa, usando fontes online, impressas e arquivos. Na plataforma do ViRAL, podem encontrar alguns quests que vos ajudam na pesquisa e interpretação de documentos como mapas mapas e fotografias antigas.

 

Abaixo, podem encontrar alguma informação acerca das empresas que seleccionámos, tal como algumas imagens dos edifícios e das pessoas que lá trabalhavam.

ALVES DAS LÃS

O primeiro local da nossa apresentação é o lugar onde estava situada a empresa que era comummente chamada de Alves das Lãs (oficialmente António Alves & C.ª). Foi fundada pelo homem que deu o nome à empresa, após o encerramento da empresa de lavagem de lã António e Cândido Alves, gerida por dois irmãos – cada um deles fundou uma empresa com o seu nome.

 

Alves das Lãs teve várias sucursais em Portugal e expandiu a actividade da companhia anterior, produzindo materiais para colas, curtumes e fertilizantes. Depois de 40 anos de existência, é extinguida nos anos 80, depois de uma década atribulada de greves e despedimentos.

 

Parte do terreno da antiga fábrica deu lugar a uma bomba-de-gasolina. Então, em 2020, a demolição ocorreu, para permitir a construção de uma instalação de âmbito comercial.

 

Actualmente, restam apenas duas chaminés no vasto lugar que, a certa altura, foi o local de trabalho de 500 pessoas (285, em 1975).

FIAÇÃO E TECIDOS

Fundada em 1845, Companhia Nacional de Fiação e Tecidos era uma companhia têxtil, e também uma das indústrias mais prósperas da região, por algum tempo. “Nos primeiros anos de existência, focou-se sobretudo na fiação de linho, juta e algodão, e também na confeccão de lonas de algodão, predominantemente para o mercado nacional. No final do século XIX era uma das maiores empresas da indústria transformadora portuguesa.”[1]

 

Entre 1882 e 1969, em frente às suas instalações a empresa tinha um aglomerado de casas para os trabalhadores. Visto do ponto da força de trabalho, houve um crescimento até 1977, quando empregava 800 trabalhadores. Começou com 28 trabalhadores, em 1845; cem anos depois, em 1946, tinha 600 empregados, o mesmo que em 1991 (605 precisamente), reduzindo para 555 em 1992.

 

Através dos anos a empresa sofreu algumas transformações e dificuldades, principalmente na adaptação ao mercado internacional. Como consequência da crise de 2008, em 2011, encerra definitivamente.

 

Recentemente, em 2020, a marca das “Toalhas de Torres Novas” foi relançada, adaptando o saber-fazer tradicional às necessidades modernas do consumidor.

 

O que conseguem ver nas imagens 360º é a localização da fábrica das toalhas de banho, que a empresa começou a fazer em 1972 (não sabemos se coincide com a existência do edifício), que foi demolido no final do último século.

 

[1] https://www.torresnovas1845.com/pages/our-story-torres-novas-1845

CASA NERY

A Casa Nery é uma indústria metalúrgica fundada em 1885, adquirida por uma empresa italiana-espanhola nos anos noventa do séc. XX. Esta companhia produzia colunas de ferro fundido, e também maquinaria agrícola. O volume das máquinas obrigou a que se construísse um novo edifício para albergar a empresa, nos anos sessenta do séc. XX. Esta infraestrutura, que já não existe, era perto do rio Almonda – no centro de Torres Novas, hoje em dia, mas uma zona periférica naquele tempo – como a maior parte das indústrias da região. O rio oferece o importante recurso que é a água e, infelizmente, forma de eliminar os resíduos.

 

Há várias décadas atrás, era uma das mais rentáveis indústrias da região, dando emprego a uma considerável fatia de cidadãos da vila: em 1974 empregava cerca de 500 trabalhadores (em 1996, empregava 230 trabalhadores).

 

A demolição das antigas oficinas começou em 2002, para permitir a construção de um viaduto que faz a conexão entre a parte velha e a parte nova da cidade. A destruição desses edifícios foi contestada por um grupo de cidadãos argumentando que aquelas instalações pertenciam à memória e património da cidade, e deviam albergar um museu, como alguns exemplos no país.

 

Hoje, alguns edifícios restam, como conseguem ver nas fotos e nos vídeos, junto àquela estrada que conecta duas partes muito diferentes da cidade.

FIAÇÃO1.png
NERY1.jpg